Well Jersey City if we're being completely literal.
Ugh. Sorry for the delay in posting. Getting this blog up and running has been harder than I thought
, but here is the blog post on our road trip across the country to get here!
Day one: We pulled out from my parent's house in Mount Vernon, WA and headed east on the North Cascades Hwy. It takes a bit longer to cross the state on this highway, but it is a BEAUTIFUL drive and reminded me of when I was a kid. We stopped a couple times at scenic viewpoints to take in the view (and perhaps because I have a bladder the size of a peanut, but I'll go with the view). Our first major stop of the day was just outside Wilbur, WA at Tay's friend Carly's family house. Her parents were so sweet and we visited, played with Jackson, Taylor's dog from college, and indulged in delicious cookies and lemon bars before hitting the road again. Our final stop of the day was in Spokane, WA at one of my favorite places, my friend Lisa's (and her husband Chris's I suppose). They were so sweet to let us crash at their place knowing that we would be waking up SUPER early to hit the road the next day. I love those two. That's really all there is to say. Can't wait until they visit...hint, hint! ;)
 |
| The view as we drove away of the moving truck that we only used five feet of at my parent's house... |
|
|
 |
| The North Cascades Hwy at a scenic viewpoint...one of the many beautiful spots on the drive... |
Day Two: We awoke bright and early to hit the road. As we exited Lisa's, we found a nice little surprise on the doorstep (see below). Sheesh
...I am spoiled rotten by my amazingly thoughtful friends. Note to self, pass on this kindness to others. Miss you Lis! Day two was all about making headway. We left Spokane at 4 in the morning and just drove
...and drove
....and drove
....and drove
...and drove some more. In all we drove from Spokane, WA to Murdo, South Dakota and stayed at the finest Super 8 truck stop money could buy.
:) As far as states go
...we drove through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and South Dakota. Along the way we stopped in Bozeman, Montana for lunch to check out the town Taylor always meant to visit in college. Our second stop was at Mount Rushmore. Tay decided early on that there was no way we were going to get there in time to see it, but to our (his) surprise, we got there right after the park closed, but before they turned off the lights. The mountain is much smaller than I imagined, but it was still a cool place to visit once and it is really an impressive monument. I'm definitely glad we stopped, cause I don't envision us taking another vacation to South Dakota ever again (there is A LOT of road construction in that state
...and we almost hit a deer so let's just say that we aren't exactly fond of the great state of South Dakota). Here are a few photos of day two
:
 |
| A nice morning surprise of Starbucks coffee...these were pretty much gone by the evening. Thanks Lis and Chris! |
 |
| Idaho State Line...4:45 am? |
 |
| Passing into Montana...still dark out |
 |
| Passing into Wyoming...very flat drive from here on out... |
 |
| Mount Rushmore at night...we made it! (As an aside, there is no state sign for South Dakota cause I was driving at that point and we forgot...) |
Day Three: We left Murdo, South Dakota around 7:30 am and drove about 8 and a half hours to Lake City, Minnesota to visit Taylor's Uncle Jon and Aunt Susie (on his dad's side), his cousin Jenny, and her daughters Rachel and Ashley. Lake City is a beautiful town right on the Mississippi River. Fall is my favorite season and Lake City was the epitome of Fall. There were golden leaves everywhere (the crunchy ones...my fav!), a Friday night high school football game that the whole town attends, and a town harvest festival. It was so nice to visit with Tay's family and they were amazing hosts. We arrived there on a Friday night and went out to dinner then went home and visited for a few hours while consuming an adult beverage or two...The next day we had a delicious breakfast pizza, toured the town and went to Dairy Queen (it was about time...haha) before hitting the road again. Jon and Susie were very gracious hosts and it was great getting to know Jenny and her girls. I can't wait to see everyone at the wedding next August!
 |
| Crossing into Minnesota...our only state crossing of the day. |
 |
| Hanging out at Uncle John and Aunt Susie's....photo courtesy of Ashley...not sure what we are listening so intently to? |
|
|
|
Day Four: After leaving Lake City we headed due south to Iowa Falls, Iowa to visit more of Tay's family (on his mom's side this time). We arrived to his Aunt Shyrl's and Uncle Randy's just in time for the second half of the Iowa State football game (of course we got lost a bit along the way
...but we won't talk about that). They are big Iowa State fans. I've been told Iowa State is the Washington State of the midwest so I immediately took to liking the team. After the game, Taylor's cousins and Grandma came over and we all had a home cooked dinner. Tay's sister Katie joined the party as well and it was nice to have a familiar face around in addition to Taylor. Once again, we had a wonderful night visiting with family. It was so nice to get to see where Taylor comes from. His family is so sweet and warm. They made me feel right at home without hesitation and you can tell immediately when you meet them that they genuinely are a loving family. I loved the home cooked meals and just the comforting family atmosphere, it reminded me of home. Especially with the little ones running around. I can't wait to visit again and just know our door is always open out in Jersey City
!
 |
| Crossing into Iowa. | | | |
|
|
 |
| The whole family, minus Shyrl and Randy and Grandma Verdella |
|
Days Five and Six: The next day we caravanned (sp?) with Katie to Milwaukee where she lives. While in Milwaukee we toured Marquette University, went to a Brewery, and then spent our evening on a pub crawl of Milwaukee. Milwaukee is a very pretty city with a great atmosphere. Again, there were TONS of crunchy leaves and I did my best to jump on every single one of them. :) Hanging out with Katie is always a good time and our trip to Milwaukee was no different. I would love to go back there in the summer so we can hit up a Brewer's game as well. Thanks for being our DD Katie and putting up with us! Come visit soon! Here are a few photos of the trip:
 |
| Crossing into Wisconsin... |
 |
| Miller Park in Milwaukee |
 |
| Tay and I outside the Brewery |
 |
| By the Milwaukee River |
Day Seven: After Milwaukee we headed to our next destination: Cleveland, Ohio. It was about an eight hour drive through four states, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. When we got there we grabbed a coffee with my cousin Amy who goes to college out there and then headed to our final destination of the night, Danah and Josh's. Danah and Josh are two of my favorite people I met while I was working for a triple A baseball team. Heck, they are two of my favorite people in general. They have an ADORABLE little boy as well. I hadn't seen the little one since he was about seven or eight months old and now he is three! My how time flies. Three things I learned while visiting Danah and Josh: 1) there is nothing sweeter than a little boy greeting you at the door saying "Hi, Auntie Kari!" Melt. My. Heart. 2) I have a potty mouth sometimes...currently employing a swear jar so that I will be invited back to visit again. and 3) I miss them. It is amazing how with good friends you can go months without talking and still feel like you haven't skipped a beat. I know these three will be in my life for a long long time. Love them. Thank you so much for letting us stay with you. Can't wait for your visit next weekend!
 |
| Passing into Illinois... |
 |
| Passing into Indiana... |
 |
| Passing into Ohio. Sadly, I didn't take any pictures while we were in Cleveland. :( |
Day Eight: The final leg of the journey. From Cleveland we drove straight through to Jersey City, New Jersey and got there in time to grab the keys to our brand new apartment. Our brand new empty apartment. Too bad our furniture didn't make it until Day 10. Whoops.
 |
| Passing into Pennsylvania...such a beautiful state in the Fall! The leaves were gorgeous. |
 |
| Our new home....I'll be honest, I never thought this is where life would take me |
Welp, that is the story of our road trip.
Night
!
No comments:
Post a Comment